Can motion sickness be prevented?

Yes. An important thing to know, is the car sickness can be seen in people with migraines/complex migraines/atypical migraines. So, preventing the migraines/complex migraines/atypical migraines can help.
Absolutely. Avoid reading in the car and playing cards. Activities that involve focusing on a stationary object will create confusion for the brain, which can "sense" movement but not "see" it. The "conflict" between what is "sensed" and what is actually being "seen" is what causes the motion sickness. Sitting in the front passenger's seat can also prevent motion sickness.