Who needs the meningitis shot?

All Children. There are actually 3 meningitis vaccines. Two, Prevnar (pneumococcal vaccine) (pneumococcal) and hib (haemophilus), are typically given at 2, 4 and 6 months old, with a booster at 15 months old. The Meningococcal vaccine is given at 11 and 16 years old, but is also recommended for younger children if they are considered higher risk.
Kids ages 11 - 18. 2 doses of menigitis shots (meningococcal conjugate vccine mcv4) are recommended for kids 11 - 18, with the 1st at ages 11 or 12, and a booster at 16. If 1st is between 13 & 15, the booster shot is given between 16 and 18. If the first dose is given after the 16th birthday, a booster is not currently recommended. Hiv youth should get 3 shots: 2 doses, 2 months apart at 11 or 12, and 3rd at 16.