How can I avoid getting mad cow disease?

Dr. Pamela Pappas

In brief: Less likely in US

About 150 worldwide cases of vcjd have occurred to date, nearly all associated with beef consumption in the uk.
There have been 4 confirmed cases of infected cattle in the us since 2006. Generally any cow with neurological symptoms is removed from the herd, and there are feed bans on possibly infectious materials. Avoid beef totally, if very concerned. http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/bse/.

In brief: Less likely in US

Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Avoid infected meat

Mad cow disease is very rare and is transmitted mostly by eating infected meat.
If you have concern, don't eat any meat you consider unsafe. It can be contracted by blood contamination from an infected individual, but since the disease is very rare, this risk is minimal for most people.

In brief: Avoid infected meat

Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Marion Dunn

In brief: Mad Cow

My apology , but I am not familiar with that particular disorder in detail.
Please consider the nearest major university in your area for more information . Good luck and best wishes.

In brief: Mad Cow

Dr. Marion Dunn
Dr. Marion Dunn