What causes hydrocephalus in adults?

Dr. K. Olson
In brief: Hydrocephalus
It is blockage of the flow of fluid in the brain.
Meningitis, tumor, traumatic head injury, subarachnoid hemorrhage, cranial surgery, or medications have been implicated. In children it can be due to premature birth or genetic defects - that blocks flow (aqueductal stenosis). Apparently, often the cause is not determined. With early treatment "many lead normal lives with few limitations.".

In brief: Hydrocephalus
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. K. Olson
Dr. Edison McDaniels
I answer this question in my FREE monograph Hydrocephalus: An Owner's Manual. You can download a copy at http://surgeonwriter.com/hydrolog/ The monograph is brief, informative, interesting, and written for the lay person. It's an easy read. It will answer most of your questions. Good Luck.
In brief: Blockade
Tumors within the ventricular system, such as colloid cyst of third ventricle, tumor in brainstem blocking aqueduct, communicating hydrocephalus as a complication of infection or prior subarachnoid hemorrhage due to aneurysm, or acquired low pressure hydrocephalus in the elderly.

In brief: Blockade