What is the meaning of tonic clonic seizure?

Generalized epilepsy. Tonic-clonic epilepsy refers to a form of epilepsy causing loss of consciousness and having two phases - the tonic phase involves a stiffening of the extremities (tonic) and a clonic phase with jerking of the extremities. The episodes may begin with involving all extremities at the same time, or may spread from a localized area of brain (partial seizure) to then generalize to the whole brain.
Generalized Epilepsy. The term tonic clonic describes the movement of the extremites that occur during a seizure. Tonic referring to extension of the limb / clonic - flexion of the limb. This alternating flexion/extension movement is seen in generalized epilepsy or what was once referred to a grand mal epilepsy. Close observation of focal seizures (localized to one side of the body or a limb) will find similar movement.