What kind of an infection is herpes simplex encephalitis?

Serious. Life threatening infection often focalized over the limbic and temporal cortices, associated often with coma and seizures, with risk of fatality if not treated aggressively.
Viral infection. Herpes encephalitis is a viral infection ususally due to herpes simplex type 1. The infection affects the temporal and frontal lobes of the brain, areas important in the formation of new memories. The infection is progressive if not treated, leading to death. Intravenous antiviral medication is very effective especially when given early in the course of the infection. Recovery can be good .
Brain. Herpes simplex is a family of viruses that commonly infect the mouth and genital areas but also can infect other areas of skin. Occasionally, mostly in patients who have some form of immunosuppression, the virus can cause infection in the brain known as herpes simplex encephalitis. This is a serious and potentially life threatening condition and should be treated with antiviral medications.