Do antipsychotic drugs often cause tardive dyskinesia?

Yes. The older antipsychotics such as thorazine, mellaril, stelazine, haloperidol, turned out to be at high risk in causing tardive dyskinesia. The newer agents such as risperdal, seroquil, geodon, (ziprasidone) have a substantially lower risk but still possible in some patients.
Unfortunately, yes. Tardive dyskinesia (td) refers to nvoluntary movements of the tongue, lips, nd facial muscles. In more severe cases, it may also include the arms, legs, and the rest of the body. Td can occur with any of the antipsychotic medications, but was much more common with the older medications. It may also be dose related.