What does a doctor do for an ingrown toenail?

Removal. The procedure is called a phenol and alcohol procedure. This entails numbing your toe, removing the offending nail part and then killing the nail root to keep the nail from regrowing. It takes about 2-3 weeks to heal but there is a good chance it will feel better for you the next day. If the nail is only ingrown at the tip of the toe an intrument is used to gently remove the part that hurts.
Treatment. You may need antibiotic. Most of the time the podiatrist will painlessly remove the ingrown edge.
Fix it. If infected might put you on an antibiotic, but the important part is to remove the offending nail. This can be done with or without local anesthesia depending on the amount of nail that needs to be removed.