What coping skills are required of those close to the victim of a borderline personality disorder?

Gentleness. Those with bpd, despite their emotional problems, are actually often better than average at noticing subtle levels of emotion. Therefore take a deep breath and help get them more comfortable by you dialing down your emotions both the positive and negative. Makes it easier for all involved in the long run!
Compassion. This is a mental disease and people who suffer from it are sick. Loved ones need to be long on patience but firm on limit setting. Being supportive goes along way. Families should not subject themseves to physical, sexual, or verbal abuse. If the patient puts anyone in the family at risk for harm, they may need to be hospitalized or have law enforcement intervene.