How can family members or loved ones deal with a borderline personality disorder?

Be there. Be real. Try to be consistent. Be supportive and empathic, but also remind the other of the reality of the situation.
Validate, set limits. There are many books for family members and loved ones of a person with borderline personality disorder. There are probably support groups as well. Are you a parent, sibling, child, spouse of the patient or are you the patient? Marsha linehan has developed a therapy called dialectical behavioral therapy (dbt) for people with dbt. Read about this. Central to it are validating and setting limits.