Do I need to take the pill if I am nursing?

Dr. David Fein
Preventive Medicine

In brief: No

Do you need to take the pill while nursing? No.
Do you need some type of contraception while nursing? Yes, yes, yes. The old belief that nursing prevents pregnancy is very old and very unreliable. So - condoms, or a progesterone-only-pill (pop), also called the mini-pill, are both good choices while nursing.

In brief: No

Dr. David Fein
Dr. David Fein
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

It depends on what your wishes are for birth control.
Even women who are exclusively nursing can get pregnant after the baby is about three months old. Some women use condoms. You may not be able to use the rhythm method. If you want a birth control pill, the best one to use is the minipill since it will not affect your milk supply.

In brief: No

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Cindy Juster