What could be causing a callus on toes from shoes?

Friction. Your toes most likely are rubbing in your shoes. Friction causes calluses.
Callus. The shoes are bad fitting. You may have to get better shoes. Callus forms from irritation.
Many possibilities. Many things can cause calluses. Some reasons that one may develop a callus include: viral infections (warts), friction, pressure, repedetive trauma, and a limitation of joint motion. Some genetic conditions may also cause people to develop calluses on the hands and the feet. Treatment depends on the cause of the problem. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.