What vaccine is used for smallpox?

In brief: Vaccina virus vac

Due to concerns about bioterrorism there is vaccine licensed for use in the us & used by the military and in limited civilian settings.
General use in children stopped in 1972. For information on the vaccine see www.Bt.Cdc.Gov/agent/smallpox/index.Asp.

In brief: Vaccina virus vac

Dr. Joel Gallant
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: Smallpox vaccine

The smallpox vaccine is used to prevent smallpox, but it's no longer routinely given because there's no smallpox on the planet.

In brief: Smallpox vaccine

Dr. Joel Gallant
Dr. Joel Gallant
2 comments
Dr. Scott Diede
To be accurate, there are vials of small pox frozen down for research in a number of countries. There have been no documented cases of smallpox in the world since 1977 in Somalia.
Dr. Joel Gallant
That's correct. When I said there was no smallpox on the planet, I was referring to the disease, not the virus.