What makes viral pneumonia more problematic than bacterial pneumonia?

Dr. Michael DePietro
Internal Medicine - Pulmonary Critical Care
In brief: Nothing
Viral pneumonia is often milder, however if severe it is problematic in that outside the flu and some rare infections affecting only people with damaged immune systems, there are few antiviral direct antibiotic treatment, antibiotics in general are effective only for bacteria.

In brief: Nothing
Dr. Michael DePietro
Dr. Michael DePietro
In brief: Depends
This depends on how you define problamatic.
Most viral pneumonia i treat is only troublesome because I have no antibotics to help it go away. Often it is not much worse than a bad cold & supportive care & monitoring for complications is all we need to do until it passes. Some rare viral pneumonias are a big pain, chickenpox in a newborn or adult can be deadly as was sars before it vanished.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Adam Smith