I had just gotten my wisdom teeth out. I have this periogard (chlorhexidine gluconate) stuff and I don't know why I need to use it?

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dentistry

In brief: Prevent infection.

Hello. Rinsing with perioguard after any oral surgery will help keep the area clean and disinfected.
This, in turn, helps with healing and to prevent infections. Since it's difficult and uncomfortable to brush around surgical sites, this rinse really helps. However, it's not designed for long-term use, so stop rinsing with it as soon as the area has healed. It's not needed after that.

In brief: Prevent infection.

Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Daniel Wolter
Dr. Robert Fong
Dentistry

In brief: Decrease infection

It improves you chances of healing without complications.
Any wound can get infected. The mouth is a very dirty place. By using the mouthwash you have the peace of mind that you did what you could to heal faster.

In brief: Decrease infection

Dr. Robert Fong
Dr. Robert Fong

In brief: Helps with healing

Follow the post-op instructions to help you heal faster and hopefully prevent infection.

In brief: Helps with healing

Dr. Jeffrey Bassman
Dr. Jeffrey Bassman

In brief: Prevent infection

Perioguard is an antimicrobial mouthwash.
The reason that they want you to use it is to help prevent infection of the surgical site. If you don't like the taste then ask them if you can discontinue it. I usually have my patients rinse with warm salt water after extractions.

In brief: Prevent infection

Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Charles Kattuah
Dr. Shontae Buffington