How to deal with post traumatic stress disorder in kids after these shooting sprees?

Dr. Marc Zimmermann

In brief: Professional help

Ptsd is very individualized.
Some people do not develop this even though others in a similar situation do. The most important component for remission is a proper diagnosis and treatment plan. I recommend a mental health professional for this.

In brief: Professional help

Ptsd is very individualized.
Dr. Richard Levenson
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Shootings

Ptsd in children must be dealt with in psychotherapy by a licensed mental health professional who is skilled at treating ptsd.
Children react differently to these events, and there have been good results with exposure and cognitive behavioral therapy. At times, medications can be helpful as well.

In brief: Shootings

In brief: PTSD

I agree with both dr. Levenson and dr. Zimmerman.
Something that is protective against the development of ptsd is a supportive and loving family. All the children directly involved in shootings will be traumatized. But some will make it through well. Others will needs specialized help from behavioral health providers with expertise in both working with children and ptsd.

In brief: PTSD

Dr. Adam Smith