Bloating after open inguinal hernia repair common?

Can be. Constipation after general anesthesia and general surgical procedure is common. It can cause pain, bloating, nausea, and worse. Drink lots of liquids, use fiber and laxatives, slow down on solids in diet until your bowels are moving twice a day.
Maybe. If it was done under general anesthesia, it is not uncommon to experience uncoordinated intestinal activity that can result in nausea, vomiting, bloating, or constipation. Call your surgeon if you are unable to tolerate it.
No. Not in my experience. I have never seen bloating as a complication of a hernia repair.