How do I get rid of bad breath besides mints?

Floss,tongue scraper. Sometimes flossing will help reduce the amount of bacteria that causes the bad breath. A tongue scraper is also useful in cleaning the tongue more effectively than just brushing it. If you do have bleeding gums then you should visit your dentist for your checkup / cleaning. Other causes of bad breath may be from your sinus or stomach reflux.
Brush your tongue. Also you should see a dentist to rule out any oral infections or gum disease. The tongue can harbor many bacterial colonies and if it is not cleaned regularly can be a significant source of bad breath. I prefer tongue scrapers over toothbrushes. You should be able to find one in the dental product aisle of any drug store.