Why does my baby look cross-eyed?

Usually temporary. New babies often have disconjugate gaze (the eyes don't look in the same direction), especially if they are not trying to look at anything. The gaze should straighten out over the first 3 months, but parents should let the doctor know at the 2-week, 1-month, & 2-month check-ups about the gaze. Babies with disconjugate gaze after 3 months, or who have additional symptoms, should see an eye doctor.
Depends. If the crossing is happening all the time or if you feel that the baby is not seeing well, please have the baby evaluated by the pediatrician who may then recommend a consultation with a pediatric ophthalmologist.
Wide nasal bridge. Most babies look cross eyed because of their wide nasal bridges. This is called pseudoesotropia. True cross eyes can be determined by shining a light at the baby and observing if the light appears equally on both pupils.