Just wanted to know if rheumatoid arthritis is possible in a teen, and if so what causes it?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Au contraire! Rare!

The term jra is not used anymore in rheumatology!.
It is now called juvenile idiopathic arthritis. Most children are ccp antibody negative, and the majority rf neg as well. Ra can appear early in life, mainly in females in there mid-teens. I have not had a single RA pt. In the last 43 jia patients seen. Even the sex ratio is different: more like 1 to 1, versus 10/1.

In brief: Au contraire! Rare!

Dr. Daniel Mass
Surgery - Hand Surgery

Ra is definitely possible in a teen and younger, usually known as juvenile ra.
No one knows the cause, but you should see a rheumatologist to be appropriately diagnosed and treated.