Scabies isn't usually serious, but is it possible to die of it?

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Wound care

In brief: Scabies

Scabies, all by itself, would not cause death.
I suppose that you could create a scenario or two in which the person itched themselves so much that they wound up with an skin infection, cellulitis, sepsis and death.

In brief: Scabies

Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. Scott Bolhack
Dr. HECTOR Franco
Dermatology

In brief: Not likely

Scabies is caused by a very contagious human mite that burrows into the skin and no deeper. The scabies mite is not known to transmit any microbial diseases that would complicate a scabies infestation.
A severe form of scabies called norwegian scabies seen in comatose, mentally impaired patients causes severe rashes but usually is not life threatening.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. HECTOR Franco
Dr. HECTOR Franco
Dr. Adam Smith