My husband is 31, does weight training and has a healthy diet but recieved low test results for testosterone of 314. 2nd low score, any suggestions?

Dr. Susan Wingo
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Is it really low?

314 ng/ml is normal at most labs.

In brief: Is it really low?

314 ng/ml is normal at most labs.
Dr. Susan Wingo
Dr. Susan Wingo
Good point. She did not give the units, but she seems to have been told it was low at least for that lab.
Pathology

In brief: Why was it tested?

If he is losing his chest / armpit hair or his libido / erectile function, then we need to find why his serum testosterone is low.
Otherwise, why was he tested? One cause that gets missed in this age group is hemochromatosis, which is easy to treat and lethal if untreated. There are others that can be even more troublesome.

In brief: Why was it tested?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: See physician

I recommend he sees his physician to get this evaluated.
I recommend finding out "why" his testosterone is low before jumping to treatment. It could be something as simple as stress, medications side effects or something more serious like a tumor in the pituitary. Please evaluate before treating.

In brief: See physician

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Quang Nguyen
Dr. Alfredo Garcia

In brief: Low testosterone

If his primary doctor is not worried, perhaps the 2 levels may not be too low.
If you are worried, you can suggest an endocrinologist's evaluation to see if he needs treatment.

In brief: Low testosterone

Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Alfredo Garcia
Dr. Marsha Davis