How do I get rid of bacterial vaginosis? It keeps coming back after antibiotics.

Dr. Michael Ein
Internal Medicine - Infectious Disease

In brief: See below

Bv is a synergistic infection involving gardnerella and a number of other, anaerobic bacteria.
It is treated with Metronidazole oral or intravaginal. Tinidazole and Clindamycin are alternatives. Oral and intravaginal probiotics containing lactobacilli can help. Recurrent disease is related to colonization of your sex partner, inconsistant condom use and is halved with estrogen contraceptives.

In brief: See below

Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Ein
Dr. Michael Sinclair

In brief: Fix the cause

Bv is notorious for coming back.
First make sure that is really what you have. Treat your partner even if they have no symptoms. Check vaginal ph and correct it. Add probiotics orally and intra-vaginally. Abstain from sex temporarily. No baths, just shower. Sleep nude or at least no panties. Let me know how you are doing.

In brief: Fix the cause

Bv is notorious for coming back.
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Michael Sinclair
Dr. Nancy Mellow

In brief: It depends

If you are menopausal or not producing much estrogen because of being very thin or athletic, it might help to use a vaginal estrogen cream or tablet.
If you are a gay woman and have vaginal contact with your partner, sometimes treating your partner can help. Also, if one vaginal antibiotic (metrogel) was used, an alternalte type ( cleocin) might help.

In brief: It depends

Dr. Nancy Mellow
Dr. Nancy Mellow
Dr. Jane Van Dis