I have low iron and need to take a supplement can you make a recommendation? In addition how many mgs would be appropriate

Well . Iron deficiencies require evaluation by a primary care physician or Obgyn. In women especially over 40 and all men iron deficiency can be a sign of colon cancer or stomach cancer or stomach ulcers.Donot take Iron supplements except when supervised by a physician!!!
Agree with Dr. A. When you take oral iron, increase you intake of fiber and water to avoid constipation.
You may take a fiber laxative like Metamucil and drink enough water daily so that your urine is colorless. For the long term you may try to increase your intake of fiber foods. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/high-fiber-foods/art-20050948.
Ferrous Sulfate. The dose depends on whether you have anemia (low hemoglobin) or not. If it is only for prophylaxis (prevention) then ferrous sulfate 325mg tablets once a day should be enough. If you are anemic, you may need to take ferrous sulfate 325mg up to 3 times a day. Keep in mind that iron can make you constipated and turn your stool color dark to black. Make sure to follow up with your primary doctor!
Iron supplements. Only a small percentage of Oral iron supplements are absorbed and in my experience at least 3 doses of an oral iron supplement daily is advisable to treat significant iron deficiency. Take them with food to minimize gastric distress and also include a stool softener to combat the constipating side effect. Be aware that the iron will make your stools black.