I had gall bladder surgery 3 weeks ago and now I am having pain in my left side above my belly button. Why?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery

In brief: See Your Surgeon

It's very difficult to answer this without the benefit of the knowledge of your surgery or your physical exam findings.
What i can tell you is that the gallbladder is usually removed from the abdomen thru the umbilical incision. Therefore, it is common to have pain there even three weeks later.

In brief: See Your Surgeon

In brief: Maybe still healing

Abdominal pains after surgery can be from abdominal wall muscle spasms or muscle discomforts, and can be from some internal gas bloating.
Without a physical examination, it is hard to know why you have pains. See your surgeon, and see them urgently if you are having fevers, vomiting, or worsening pain.

In brief: Maybe still healing

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery