Which type of medical specialist (chest or ent) should I consult for a persistent cough?

Persistent cough. You may not need a specialist to diagnose the cause of your cough. Your primary care physician is capable of diagnosing its cause and giving you proper treatment. An allergist, pulmonologist or ENT doctor or all 3 of them may be necessary if your primary treatment is not working.