Is there a difference between food poisoning and gastroenteritis?

Yes. Food poisoning occurs from food or water that contains bacteria, parasites, viruses, or toxins made by these germs. Most cases are caused by common bacteria such as Staphylococcus or E. coli. Common gastroenteritis is typically a viral vomiting and diarrheal illness not related to contaminated food. Food poisoning results in a gastroenteritis but all gastroenteritis does not come from bad food.
Maybe. Gastroentritis may or may not have something to do with the food one eats. Food poisoning, by definition, results from ingesting infected or spoiled food.