How do I know my baby needs medical attention for rsv?

Will baby drink. The simple guide to bringing baby in includes a focus on their activities. You know them better than anybody. A change in patterns is time for close monitoring. If they play less and sleep more a problem may be coming. If you notice their breathing has changed, become rapid, its time to call. If they cut their feed short, or prefer to breathe rather than drink, go in now.
If tired, much cough. Children with much coughing or wheezing need to see a doctor. Those with mild bronchiolitis symptoms (such as stuffy/runny nose and mild cough, but are still happy/active) are carefully watched at home. Those who are breathing too fast, working hard to breathe (sucking in between the ribs), looking tired, having trouble eating, or need extra oxygen are hospitalized for treatment.
Watch his breathing. In many babies, RSV may present itself as just a cold. In others, the cold becomes more severe & causes significant difficulty with breathing. If your child is breathing too fast, having retractions (are the ribs popping out towards you when he breathes?), nasal flaring (nose is expanding outward with breathing?) or grunting (funny sound the baby makes when he breathes?). If so, call your doctor.
Severity of illness. Rsv is a virus that causes bronchiolitis. This illness can vary from a mild respiratory infection to a severe infection with wheezing and difficult breathing. If the child has any symptoms that seem moderate to severe especially difficulty breathing, then they need medical attention. Children that are born premature or that have asthma are particularly vulnerable to a sever infection.