When can I let my baby start to feed herself?

In brief: 9 months
When baby begins to reach and hold things, he also puts them into his mouth.
He may start finger feeding by 9 mo, using utensils by 12-15 months. The majority of feeding, however, will still be from you, as he will lack the coordination to load the spoon and get the contents to his mouth without spilling. That will occur about 2 years of age. Just because they can use utensils, doesn't mean will.

In brief: 9 months
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Ronda Dennis-Smithart
Dr. Scott Katz
In brief: 6-9 months
Babies are usually ready for large "teething" biscuits around 6 months old, and can also practice with sippy cups at this age.
Around 9 months, most infants have the ability to pick up small objects with their thumb and forefinger, and can try small pieces of easily dissolvable foods designed for infants. Check with your pediatician to make sure your baby is developmentally ready.

In brief: 6-9 months
Dr. Scott Katz
Dr. Scott Katz