I think I have an ingrown fingernail.. My fingertip has ballooned in size and painful when touched. How can I fix it or take the pain away?

Dr. Margaret Mann
Dermatology

In brief: See a doctor

Ingrown nails can certainly be painful.
But if it has sudden ballooned in size, you may want to see a doctor as it may be infected, especially if it is red or has pus drainage. This is called paronychia. Ingrown nails can break open the skin and allows bacteria or yeast into the area. See a doctor so they can treat you properly.

In brief: See a doctor

Ingrown nails can certainly be painful.
Dr. Margaret Mann
Dr. Margaret Mann

In brief: Soaking in warm wate

If the pain is at the side of your nail it could be an ingrown nail.
If soaking the finger in warm wather with epsom salt does not relieve the swelling you might have a foreign body(splinter) in your skin which will need to be removed by a doctor. Sometimes you will also need to take antibiotics by mouth for a serious infection. See your doctor if not better in a day or two.

In brief: Soaking in warm wate

Dr. Robert Breiner
Dr. Robert Breiner