Can an ear infection cause swollen tonsils?

Yes. Any infection can cause the tonsils and adenoid tissue to enlarge. This should resolve in the next few weeks but could take several months for the tonsils to return to normal size. The other possibility is that enlarged adenoids (associated with the enlarged tonsils) caused the middle ear fluid and resulting ear infection.
Yes . Upper respiratory infections of all types can cause swelling of the tonsils, which are actually specialized for helping grow the cells that fight infection. The inner ear, or eustachian tube, can be thought of as part of the upper respiratory tract. Also, inflammation in the tonsils can actually lead to the blockage and fluid buildup that eventually leads to ear infection.