Is genital herpes a contagious disease?

Only by sex. This depends on what you mean by "contagious". Genital herpes is ttransmitted to other persons)only by having sex. Some people think "contagious" means easily transmitted by casual contact, like colds or influenza -- but that's not the correct meaning. There is no risk to other persons by nonsexual contact or by sharing bathrooms, intimate clothing, etc.
Yes, due to a virus. The way to avoid genital herpes is to avoid the virus. On an individual basis, that means no sexual contact with "sores" or possible "sores". Extra safety means using condoms even if one partner is "ok today" but has sores off and on. One with frequent sores can ask a doctor for antiviral preventive medicine. On a community-wide basis, fewer partners per person drops the number of infected people.