Is antibiotic prophylaxis an effective treatment for children with vesicoureteral reflux?

Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: No

I think the question should be --is it necessary? Latest data says no.

In brief: No

Dr. Mark Diamond
Dr. Mark Diamond

In brief: Depends

The debate has gone on for years.
I choose to leave it in the hands of the pedi-urologist who will have to decide when any aggressive management (surgery) would be warranted. Their trend has been not to treat unless a kid has recurrent infections and then get off when possible.Prophylaxis in all cases appears to have gone the way of boom boxes.

In brief: Depends

The debate has gone on for years.
Dr. Jay Park

In brief: No

Over 30 years, antibiotic prophylaxis has been recommended for children with vu reflux without firm evidence of benefit.
Current consensus is: grade v reflux requires surgery (or nonsurgical deflux measure); grade ii-iv reflux needs regular follow-ups with adequate treatment for each bout of recurrent infection. Grade i reflux generally resoves spontaneously.

In brief: No

Dr. Jay Park
Dr. Jay Park
2 comments
Dr. Jay Park
Grade II or III relux are not associated with hydronephros and resolves with time even if affected child experiences recurrent UTI.
Dr. Jay Park
Not too infrequently, prenatal sonogram shows hydronephros(swelling of kiney) only to disappear after birth, especially mild one.
Dr. Jonathan Jassey