How can I prevent them cold sores from coming back?

Tips. To prevent cold sores from occurring wash hands often. Maintain a healthful lifestyle (regular exercise, nutritious diet, adequate sleep, keeping stress at bay). Keep lips well moisturized & apply sun screen to the areas that your cold sores normally pop up. Talk with your physician about supplementing with lysine.
It depends. There are a few methods to "manage" cold sores. Most are of herptic virus origin and are consider oportunistic infections. We see an increase in eruption of herpetic lesion due to stress, physical trauma and illness. Most patients can recognize when a sore is developing and take action in advance to help decrease the severity and length of time to heal. My favorite tactic is to use a he/ne laser.
Laser treatment. The virus that causes cold sores from a virus that originally showed up in your childhood. A waterlase treatment when the prodromal symptoms (tingling) occur may eliminate or decrease the frequency of cold sores as it can prevent the virus from migrating to the nerve ganglia where they remain in dormancy until released by stress.
Herpes relief. If you mean the virus, then try to avoid chocolate and nuts.