How long will an ear infection last?

Dr. Scott Rickert
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Usually 1-2 week

It depends on the nature of the ear infection (outer versus middle) and how quickly treatment is started.
Some many take only a few days to treat while others take a few weeks. It depends on how acute it is and how the treatment is working. Seeing a doctor to treat it early can help.

In brief: Usually 1-2 week

Dr. Scott Rickert
Dr. Scott Rickert
Dr. Mary Ann Block
General Practice

In brief: One week

Most ear infections will heal entirely on their own is 6-7 days.
Studies found that taking an antibiotic may actually cause them to last longer than doing nothing. I developed a treatment that parents can do at home that usually resolves the ear infections very quickly.

In brief: One week

Dr. Mary Ann Block
Dr. Mary Ann Block