Is there a general number to have a liver biopsy? I had elevated enzymes, quit drinking, they went down. My dr never mentioned a biopsy but I read about them doing them.

Pathology

In brief: Imagining

Imagining studies can provide detailed information about liver that may replace the need to do a biopsy.

In brief: Imagining

Dr. Phil Chen

In brief: Not always necessary

If you are asian and born outside the usa, use IV drug or multiple sex partner you possible need a hepatitis screen.
Alcohol is another reason cause elevate liver enzymes. Bottom line, you need to see the doctor to recheck. If biopsy indicate your doctor would tell you.

In brief: Not always necessary

Dr. Steven Seres