What is the best way to kill toe nail fungus?

In brief: Remove the toenail

Toenail fungus is extremely difficult to treat.
Oral Lamisil (terbinafine) can be used once a culture of the toenail is done, liver function test, treat orally for 3 months and topically with antifungual medicine for about one year and hope you don't get the fungus again in one year. The "gold standard" is permanent removal of the infected toenails.

In brief: Remove the toenail

Dr. Clark Pillsbury
Dr. Clark Pillsbury

In brief: Topical or systemic

There are many otc antifungal medications on the pharmacy shelf.
In my experience they all take a long time and do not work very well. I have patients use vick's vaporub on the nail and am having good luck with this treatment. They use it every day. There are 2 prescription medications on the market, Lamisil (terbinafine) and sporonox. They can take their toll on the liver, discus this with your doctor.

In brief: Topical or systemic

Dr. Robert Breiner
Dr. Robert Breiner
Dr. Brandon Macy
Podiatry

In brief: There's no easy

Way. Topical medications are largely ineffective.
Otc meds have a warning on the label "do not use on scalp or nails". Oral medications are the most effective, but have some level of risk. Laser is risk-free, but treatment is not covered by insurance plans. Don't waste your money and time on the various home remedies.

In brief: There's no easy

Dr. Brandon Macy
Dr. Brandon Macy