Can eye color change?

Dr. William Goldstein
Ophthalmology

In brief: Unusual

Eye color change in adults can signal a specific type of glaucoma.
But very often, it seems that the eye color lightens, but this is due to haze in the cornea that can come with aging.

In brief: Unusual

Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. William Goldstein
Dr. Mika Hiramatsu

In brief: Yes when young

Usually eye color is determined by about age 6 months.
However, i had a patient whose eye color changed at age 6 years. I can't remember whether it was green to blue or vice versa.

In brief: Yes when young

Dr. Mika Hiramatsu
Dr. Mika Hiramatsu
Dr. Douglas Liva
Some glaucoma eye drops can cause darkening of the iris with prolonged use in susceptible individuals
Dr. Alan Mindlin
Ophthalmology

In brief: Pathological

Other answers can be from chronic inflammation that may be subclinical and destroy iris pigment making it appear lighter. If one is getting darker this can represent tumor enlarging either benign or malignant.
This needs to be evaluated by an ophthalmologist.

In brief: Pathological

Dr. Alan Mindlin
Dr. Alan Mindlin