How do you get infected with bacterial vaginitis?

Unknown. Bv is an imbalance in the bacteria that are normally found in the vagina. The cause is not fully understood. Although not sexually transmitted, it is associated with activities that may disrupt the natural balance. For example, douching or having multiple sexual partners.
Like getting a cold. There is healthy bacteria that lives in the vagina. Healthy bacteria fights off the 'bad bacteria." Many things can throw off the balance of healthy bacteria such as: pH changes, hormones, stress, menstruation, menopause, soaps, douching, sexual activity, tampons, pads.....If the situation is right then the "bad bacteria" takes over. It is similar to getting a " cold in your vagina."