How can I know I have strep / tonsillitis?

Dr. Bernstein Joel
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Culture

The only way you can determine if you have Streptococcus as a cause of your tonsillitis is to have a swab culture directly into the tonsillar tissue.
Although one can suspect it clinically, there are other bacterial causes of bacterial tonsillitis, including S. pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenza, and Moraxella catharhalis.

In brief: Culture

Dr. Bernstein Joel
Dr. Bernstein Joel

In brief: See below

The most common symptoms with strep throat are a fever, sore throat, and a headache.
If you have cold symptoms, it is more likely to be viral. A strep test will confirm the diagnosis, if you have strep.

In brief: See below

Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Shontae Buffington