How can I tell if I have a regular ear infection or labyrinthitis?

Dr. Brian Affleck
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Ear infection
I hope I am understanding your question correctly.
When you say regular ear infection, i think you are saying otitis media or infection of the middle ear. This generally causes ear pain, sometimes ear drainage, hearing loss, fever. When someone has labyrinthitis, the infection is now involving the inner ear affecting the balance canals and the cochlea. This will usually cause severe dizziness.

In brief: Ear infection
Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Brian Affleck
Dr. Martin Raff
To say nothing of the potential for incapacitating nausea and vomiting. If you had labyrinthitis the chance are you would know it and not be able to write this question.
Dr. Patrick Melder
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Dizziness
Regular ear infections usually do not cause vertigo.
Labyrinthitis usually always is associated with severe vertigo and nausea. You may also have hearing loss and tinnitus.

In brief: Dizziness
Dr. Patrick Melder
Dr. Patrick Melder