Does chronic sinusitis cause polyps?

It can. This is a chicken/egg question. Not everyone who has chronic sinusitis develops polyps. Most everyone who has polyps has chronic sinusitis. They are very closely associated with each other.
Sometimes. Chronic sinusitis can occur with or without nasal polyps. Nasal polyposis has been shown to be a genetic disease. So the answer to your question is yes, chronic sinusitis can in some cases be complicated by nasal polyposis.
Nasal polyps. It can. Nasal polyps are like a callous in the sinus passages due to chronic inflammation due to either allergic irritation or non-allergic irritants. Treatment is usually surgical followed by excellent nasal hygiene with a salt water wash and nasal steroid.