How do I know if my baby is latching improperly?

Dr. Nanette Nuessle

In brief: Comfort

Improper latching is uncomfortable.
It hurts. Proper latching should not hurt. Also, you should hear your infant swallowing milk, which indicates good milk flow from the breast, as well as good transfer from the front of the mouth to the back of the throat.

In brief: Comfort

Improper latching is uncomfortable.
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Nanette Nuessle
Dr. Melissa Arca

In brief: Listen and feel

A good latch may take some practice for both mom and baby.
Signs of a good latch: your baby's mouth covers the nipple and much of the areola, your baby's lips are everted against the breast, you can hear a rhythmic suck and swallow, you and your baby are relaxed. Signs of a poor latch: you hear clicking but not suck/swallow, you have pain that persists, your baby is fussy or squirmy.

In brief: Listen and feel

Dr. Melissa Arca
Dr. Melissa Arca