What causes ulcerative colitis to flare up?

Inflammation. Uc is an inflammatory bowel disease with many triggers. Any trigger that creates an inflammatory response can/will cause a flare up - especially if you are not on maintenance medications. For some patients - even ones in "remission", triggers such as GI infection, systemic illness, significant change in diet and activity, or severe emotional stress can result in a flare up.
Unsure. No one knows for sure what causes uc to flare up. The only absolutely known entity is that if you are a smoker and you stop smoking, you run the risk of flaring. I'm not suggesting you smoke more though. Otherwise, no one knows for certain what makes people flare. It's one of the 64, 000 dollar questions. Likely it has something to do with the balance of intestinal bacteria.