My legs are very tender when pressure is applied to the shin and bones in my lower leg. I am fairly athletic. Could this be a bone bruise?

Dr. Rudolf Zak
Podiatry

In brief: Shin splints

It sounds like shin splints.
This occurs from running on hard surfaces. It also occurs when you have tight calf muscle from poor flexibility. Try stretching before and after activity. Also make sure you are changing your sneakers every 4-6 months and also get a pair of orthotics. If you still continue to have discomfort see your doctor about further evaluation.

In brief: Shin splints

It sounds like shin splints.
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Dr. Rudolf Zak
Dr. John Cheng

In brief: Shin splints

Most likely you are experiencing shin splints.
Bone bruises occur with direct trauma. Shin splints usual with increasing mileage, intensity or duration with running in too short of a time period that your body is used to. Your running shoes and your gait may also contribute. This happens more frequently for those who either have flat feet, high arches, or overpronate.

In brief: Shin splints

Dr. John Cheng
Dr. John Cheng