Why do root canal and then extraction?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Dental Implant

Many factors can lead to root canal failure, as the root canal system of your tooth can be complex.
Have the tooth extracted and replaced with a dental implant.

In brief: Dental Implant

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Jay Kansal
Dentistry

In brief: A failed root canal

The reasons to do an extraction after a root canal is if the root canal has failed ( a retreat did not work), a fracture of the tooth into the root area, or if the decay is too deep to restore the tooth with a definitive restoration.

In brief: A failed root canal

Dr. Jay Kansal
Dr. Jay Kansal

In brief: On the same tooth ?

Assuming so, how long after the root canal treatment was the tooth extracted? The only reasons to do so are that the root canal therapy was failing or the tooth itself fractured.
Root canal therapy is an attempt to heal a very ill tooth, but as most things in medicine, nothing is guaranteed. Consider an implant.

In brief: On the same tooth ?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dr. Kevin Nail
Dentistry

In brief: Root canal failure

If someone came into the dentist in pain on a tooth that needed a root canal.
but they weren't sure if they wanted to extract the tooth or get the root canal, I would do a pulpectomy (removal of the nerve of the tooth without filling the canal). If the patient decided they wanted ext then I would ext. If I did a root canal and it failed or I noticed a fracture on the tooth, I would extract.

In brief: Root canal failure

Dr. Kevin Nail
Dr. Kevin Nail

In brief: Confusion?

Root canals are not performed with the intent of extracting the tooth later. The extraction is only done if the root canal fails.
The success rate for root canals is very high and in the successful cases the overall out of pocket cost to the patient is much lower than an implant. If insurance is involved this difference is typically even bigger. Implants = higher success rate for higher cost.

In brief: Confusion?

Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Hetesh Ranchod -- Dr. Ranch
Dr. Jake Richards
Dentistry

In brief: Uncertain

Possible that the root canal failed and the symptoms are not resolving.
Possible that there was a problem with the root canal. Possible that it was notice that the tooth was irreversibly fractured and unrestorable. Ask is the best advice.

In brief: Uncertain

Dr. Jake Richards
Dr. Jake Richards