What do black spots that appear on an MRI of the brain mean?

Dr. Carl Decker
Radiology
In brief: It depends....
How white, grey or black signal on an MRI scan is interpreted depends on the type of sequence that spot appears in.
So without knowing the sequence, i can only guess. If these are scattered black dots they could represent small foci of old hemorrhage or iron deposition. If it is a bigger spot it could represent a fluid collection. I really would have to see the images to give you an answer.

In brief: It depends....
Dr. Carl Decker
Dr. Carl Decker
Dr. Philip Chao
Black spots can also be flow voids from vessels. They can be areas of iron deposition or calcium. They can be artifacts from metal. You can go over the test with your doctor and ask him to explain it to you.