Can alcohol be used on a staph infection?

Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Addiction Medicine
In brief: No
I assume you are talking about topical alcohol (rubbing alcohol) on top of the infection.
Alcohol causes tissue damage, and hydrogen peroxide or betadine is a better cleansing agent for skin infections, followed by a topic antibiotic ointment. If it is a severe infection, you may need oral antibiotics (or even iv). See your doctor if the infection is worrying you.

In brief: No
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Alan Wartenberg
Dr. Mike Bowman
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Can be or should be?
It sure can be, but it won't help much! :) topical alcohol won't do much for a cellulitis (which is bacterial infection under the skin), and a shot of whiskey probably won't help much either. Best to see your doctor for antibiotics.

In brief: Can be or should be?
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Mike Bowman
Dr. Steven Seres