My sister was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. Am I at a high risk too?

Dr. Alen Cohen
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Slightly higher risk

So if you have a first degree relative with thyroid cancer, you do have a slightly higher risk than the general population.
In general it is recommended to have a thyroid ultrasound done to check for nodules. If any nodule is over 1 cm or has calcifications, it should be biopsied.

In brief: Slightly higher risk

Dr. Alen Cohen
Dr. Alen Cohen

In brief: Possibly

If other family members have been diagnosed with thyroid, endocrine, breast, uterine, or colon cancers, you could be at higher risk.
Also, a special type of thyroid cancer - medullary cancer - often runs in families. Otherwise only 5-10% of thyroid cancers are thought to be hereditary. A consultation with a genetic counselor can help you assess your inherited cancer risk.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Jennifer Giltnane
Dr. Jennifer Giltnane
Dr. Vicken Poochikian