Is psychotherapy for treating depression?

Not only. Psychotherapy has been shown to be helpful in treating various mental ailments; psychotherapy also helps a person cope with physical ailments; psychotherapy can be used to improve communication skills, self-concept, parenting skills, anger management, etc. There is individual psychotherapy, couples/marital/family.
Cognitive-behavioral. Therapy is the most effective treatment available for depression. It may sometimes need to be supplemented with medication for best results. It's also helpful to exercise, engage is social interaction & engrossing activities, practice gratitude, do kind things for others, develop & commit to meaningful goals, practice stress management, and talk to trusted, empathic people.
Psychotherapy. Yes, individual and group therapy are very effective modalities to understand the origins of depression and for developing better coping strategies to deal with life's stressors. Best.
DEPRESSION. Get an evaluation from a psychiatrist to help identify what depression means to you and whatever else may be bothering you. Consider recommendations for medication if any are given. Get a referral for a reputable psychotherapist to speak with. Meds and therapy combined are most optimal; no just one or the other.
Yes. Depression may benefit from and need medication for the best outcome. However, research studies make clear that the best results in even severe depression are found when medication is combined with psychotherapy. Many kinds of psychotherapy are effective and it seems the most important factor is the empathy of the therapist.